The rules governing the granting of the Residence Permit for Investment (ARI), also known as the Golden Visa, have been in force since 2012. Portugal’s Golden Visa enables third country nationals to obtain a temporary residence permit to conduct business activities with a visa waiver to enter the national territory. The main benefits of the Golden Visa are:
- Residence visa waiver for entering Portugal
- Being able to live and pursue a professional activity in Portugal
- Visa exemption for travelling within the Schengen Area
- Family reunification
- Possibility of applying for permanent residence
- Possibility of applying for Portuguese citizenship, by naturalisation, provided all requirements set out by the Nationality Act are fulfilled.
Under the current rules, the Golden Visa is granted to foreign non-EU citizens that fulfil one of these investment routes for a minimum period of 5 years:
|1. Transfer capital with a value equal to or above €1,000,000 to a Portuguese bank account.|
|2. Incorporation or acquisition of a Portuguese company, creating at least 10 new permanent job positions for minimum period of 5 years.|
3. The purchase of real estate property as per the options below: |
• €500,000 Euro with no restrictions
• €400,000 Euro for properties located in low density areas (less than 100 habitants per km2)
• €350,000 Euro for properties built over 30 years ago or located in urban regeneration areas with renovations work involved
• €280,000 Euro for properties built over 30 years ago or located in urban regeneration areas with renovations work involved, in low density areas (less than 100 habitants per km2)
|4. Capital transfer with a value equal to or above €350,000 for investing in research activities conducted by public or private scientific research institutions involved in the national scientific or technologic system.|
|5. Capital transfer with a value equal to or above €250,000 for investing in artistic output or supporting the arts, for reconstruction or refurbishment of the national heritage through the local and central authorities, public institutions and public corporate sector.|
|6. Capital transfer of the amount of €350,000, or higher, for the acquisition of shares in venture capital fund or investment fund generated to capitalise Portuguese companies where the investment value in Portuguese assets needs to be at least 60%.|
|7. Investment of €350,000, or higher, in a company with it’s head office in Portugal, combined with the creation of five permanent working jobs, or for the reinforcement of the share capital of an existing company with the creation or keeping of 5 job positions, with a minimum of five permanent jobs, and for a minimum period of three years.|
Changes to the Portugal Golden Visa programme investment routes have been announced and will come into effect on the 1st January 2022. Any applications already in progress by that date only need to meet existing terms.
For further information, please contact us at Vertex Alliance to request our fact sheet.